Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh, Sweet (Lady) Jane - Red Velvet Cake

One of these days, I will do the ultimate Sweet Lady Jane post. I have eaten at this bakery so often that I hesitate to even hazard a guess at how many pounds of their cakes I've ingested. One day, I keep telling myself, I'll do a review of their entire cake menu.

The thing about the Lady is that it is not a temple of innovation. The cakes generally do not change. The menu is standardized. For that reason, when a new one pops up, it is notable.

It was particularly notable for me when Sweet Lady Jane began offering a version of one of my favorites: red velvet cake. Red velvet cake, as you may know, is a southern treat, a deep, moist cocoa flavored cake layered and glazed with either a white butter cream or a cream cheese frosting.

I had high expectations for Jane's red velvet, and they were generally fulfilled. The cake was moist (dry red velvet is a huge, huge flaw) and sufficiently cocoa flavored. The frosting was thick and rich. It's hard to find a good velvet cake in LA, so I'm happy to add Sweet Lady to my list, but beware, it is still not a standard offering and they don't seem to carry it all the time.

Sweet Lady Jane
8360 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90069
(323)653-7145

No comments: